Pet Friendly Gardens
Both Dogs and cats are naturally curious and can end up in danger in your garden. Keep them safe by following these simple tips:
COMPOST – Keep your compost bins free from human foods that are toxic to pets.
SLUG, SNAIL AND RAT BAIT – Pets find most of these baits tasty but they are extremely toxic if ingested. Always ensure pet-friendly baits are purchased and try to enclose in pet-proof containers.
FERTILISERS – Dogs find blood and bone fertiliser appealing and will try and eat this. This is not to be consumed by your dog and will cause vomiting. Always ensure your pets are indoors when spraying and where possible use toxin-free options to keep your pet safe.
POISONOUS PLANTS – Plant poisoning is common for pets, both cats and dogs. It helps if you are aware of harmful plants in your garden and area and remove these where possible.
WHAT PLANTS ARE HARMFUL:
- Black Nightshade
- Aloe Vera
- Onions and Garlic
- Death cap mushroom
- Daffodils and Daffodil Bulbs
- Bird of Paradise
- Wandering Jew
- Barley Grass Seed
- NZ Nettle tree
SIGNS OF POISONING
- Rapid Breathing
- Excessive Salivation
- Cold Extremities
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSPECT YOUR PET HAS BEEN POISONED:
Call your vet immediately for advice or take your pet into a vet immediately to seek help. Poisoning is serious and takes effect quickly in pets, you cannot leave it and observe your pet overnight.
Try to take note of symptoms to advise your vet.
Look for spills, known plants, or open containers to try to identify the poison. If the toxin is unknown try take a sample.
Do not induce vomiting until you have spoken to your vet.
To find an emergency vet near you, click here: FIND AN EMERGENCY VET